Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Camden Hills V. Seven Sisters

So how do the Ocho de Camden compare to the Seven Sisters? I've not done the latter but I downloaded the gps data from someone else's race from motionbased.com*. The chart above is the elevation profile of the 7 sisters (out and back) and of our trail monster Tour de Camden Hills**. The major qualitative difference is that Camden has fewer, higher climbs while Seven sisters has more, shorter climbs. The total climb for Camden*** was 3624 feet over 15.3 miles, or 237 feet/mile, and that for Seven Sisters was 2553 feet over 11.1 miles, or 212 feet/mile. So the difference at least hill wise is, do you like a few long steep hills or do you like many short steep hills?

Notes:
* There were several race files and the distance varied but the 11.1 mile file looked pretty clean so I used this.
** I used the same spline smoothing algorithm for each file, not the raw data and not the motionbased algorithm.
***My profile is smoother than the motion based profile so the total climb estimated by me will be less than that of motionbased (which is more accurate is anyone's guess)

No comments:

Post a Comment