Pages

Saturday, August 20, 2011

pop

Pop is not a good word for a runner. I have heard many people describe various achilles/calf injuries as occurring with a sudden "pop" and I never could understand that until now. No my achilles didn't rupture but while running up a climb on my MP run this morning my calf went pop and I suddenly was barely walking. I flagged a car and borrowed a cell phone to have Cacky pick me up. No injury has ever stopped me from completing a run, not even my metatarsal stress fracture. The feeling and suddenness was like a charley horse but it wan't from muscle cramping.

The choice to run MP, especially on the Woodville loop, was probably unwise. Inspired by Brad Hudson, I did my first 8s hill sprint wednesday. He recommended starting with one but I of course started with 3 (its only 8s!). My legs were surprisingly sore Thursday. But, not heeding this warning, I did a 2 x 10 min tempo interval at Twin Brook thursday afternoon. It was not my best effort. Then yesterday I did what was supposed to be an 8-10 mile easy run but decided to check out all the new single track at Blackstrap "community forest". I did exactly 9 miles at 10:45 pace and I was more tired than running the Bradbury Breaker. The hills are very steep and, like all Escher designed trails, there is more climb than descent.

Then I followed up this "easy" run with the MP run today. I was planning on doing this on Rt. 88 (Maine marathon course) since it is flattish and I can assess the my pace with how I'm feeling but I was too impatient to drive and just did the Woodville loop from my home (which is much hillier). Not surprisingly running at MP pace after a not terribly good workout thursday and my not-easy day yesterday was a mistake. I was miserable by mile 2 at MP. Luckily, my popped achilles ended the misery.

5 comments: